( Log Out /  17. Durbin, with her innocent face, burst onto the Hollywood screen in the mid-1930s. Edna Mae Durbin, known professionally as Deanna Durbin, was a Canadian-born actress and singer, who later settled in France. Deanna left successfully, without a lot of looking back and regretting. They put me in the town jail for safety and to avoid the mob still waiting at the station, they flagged the train down in the middle of nowhere, where I got on safely.”, “Just once was I seriously tempted (to return to performing), by the prospect of My Fair Lady on Broadway. ALL MATERIALS, CONTENTS, AND ARTICLES ARE THE COPYRIGHT OF DAVID LOBOSCO (unless otherwise stated). Metro Goldwyn Mayer Eliza Doolittle Judy Garland Anne Frank Universal Studios Divas Deanna Durbin Jackson Musical Film. She declared "Deanna Durbin was dead and my own life really began".- In 1961, Bob Thomas again caught up with her on a return visit. A newsletter published on April 30th by the Deanna Durbin Society reported that she had died "in the past few days". When she retired at 29, the actress was the highest-paid woman in Hollywood -- and the world. Deanna Durbin with the troops in the Hollywood Canteen during World War II. Renamed Deanna Durbin for show business purposes, by age … 17. Friggs later said that Deanna Durbin was the only person he ever knew who could get away with calling Charles Laughton "Cuddles." I’ve seen a couple of unflattering photos of her, dressed in a shapeless coat with an unattractive scarf on her head. I loved them…but I had my ticket to Paris in my pocket and anyway, Julie Andrews was great and so was Audrey Hepburn in the film.”. ( Log Out /  Theme images by, HOLLYWOOD LOVE: DINAH SHORE AND BURT REYNOLDS, The Alternate Movie Title Game (Movie of the Week Edition), Danny G's Sunday Serenade with Dino: "It Won't Cool Off", BING ON FILM: RHYTHM ON THE RIVER - PART ONE, Podcast: Going My Way and The Bells of St. Mary's, Fun with virtual classic film discussions, JERRY LEWIS TO BE HONORED AT TCM FESTIVAL, PHOTOS OF THE DAY: CLASSIC STARS AND HORSES. Working with these talented men helped me so very much and I grew up much faster than the average teenager. They were married  from 1945 to 1949. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Deanna Durbin in It's a Date, 1940. Her voice is golden, but one can hear it getting stronger and stronger toward the … Let's end with footage from the one film of hers Deanna was pleased with, 1944's Christmas Holiday. Nuor. I’m referring mostly to what happened in her life after she moved to France. Would someone elaborate about where in Texas was Deanna and her mother mobbed. INTERVIEW: DEANNA DURBIN - 1983 The following is a 1983 interview with classic movie star Deanna Durbin, conducted by David Shipman. your own Pins on Pinterest Durbin retired from acting and singing in 1949, and withdrew from public life, granting only one interview for the remainder of her life, in 1983. She could have returned if she had wanted to. David, thanks for reprinting this fascinating interview. Sister: Edith (teacher) Husband: Vaughn Paul (m. 18-Apr-1941, div. Deanna Durbin made 21 movies in her short career. The late Mr Shipman wrote one of my favourite books , THE GREAT FILM STARS; THE GOLDEN YEARS. This website is dedicated to the late Deanna Durbin, one of Hollywood's biggest box-office stars in the 1930's and 1940's (December 1921 - April 2013) We are the only appreciation society which is authorised by Deanna Durbin. A one woman musical, Unlike Garbo, who famously strolled the streets of New York, Durbin truly does want to be alone in order to lead a normal life. Visit ottawafringe.com for the schedule and box office info. “The character I was forced into had little or nothing in common with myself – or with other youth of my generation, for that matter.” Deanna Durbin’s last public interview 1981 with David Shipman. I'll Be Yours is a 1947 American musical comedy film directed by William A. Seiter and starring Deanna Durbin.Based on the play A jó tündér by Ferenc Molnár, the film is about a small-town girl who tells a fib to a wealthy businessman, which then creates complications.The play had earlier been adapted for the 1935 film The Good Fairy by Preston Sturges Universal's Deanna Durbin. Change ). Hand color tinted photo of Deanna Durbin. Nuor. 20: She was an option to perform as Dorothy Gale in The Wizard of Oz (1939), but the role ultimately went to Judy Garland. And thanks for the javabeanrush link. Because of illness, her father moved the family to Los Angeles where … Whenever I complained or asked for story or director approval, the studio refused. This website is dedicated to the late Deanna Durbin, one of Hollywood's biggest box-office stars in the 1930's and 1940's (December 1921 - April 2013) We are the only appreciation society which is authorised by Deanna Durbin. Judy Garland June 10, 1922to June 22, 1969 Deanna Durbin Dec. 4, 1921 Born in Canada and still lives there, did not like the Hollywood scene. • Deanna Durbin receives her first on-screen kiss in “First Love” (1939). Gave her last interview in 1949. ... At this same interview, Joe Pasternak also recalls Deanna as being quite shy and close-mouthed (but says nothing about the … Deanna Durbin (born Edna Mae Durbin, December 4, 1921 – April 2013) was a Canadian singer and actress, who appeared in a number of musical films in the 1930s and 1940s singing standards as well as operatic arias.. Durbin made her first film appearance with Judy Garland in Every Sunday (1936), and subsequently signed a contract with Universal Studios. Canadian actress and singer Deanna Durbin (1921-2013) wearing a black sleeveless dress in a publicity shot once used for the cover of the magazine … 24. In 1980, Deanna Durbin sent a current photo of herself to Life Magazine with a note explaining that she was upset at the stories of being overweight. Discover (and save!) It may have been a shock to Deanna’s Fans that she left her Career so young never to return, but she wasn’t in a boat by herself. Read more reviews at apt613.ca/fringe. Thanks for your comment. Visiting  a Deanna Durbin fan site,( Deannadurbindevotees.com), I was fascinated to read an interview author David Shipman did with Deanna in 1983 at her home in France. A one woman musical, I liked your two books on the stars and such statements you made as, “the system was firmly rigged against the individual in favor of the machine”, . Deanna Durbin (born Edna Mae Durbin; December 4, 1921 – c. April 20, 2013) was a Canadian singer and actress, who appeared in a number of musical films in the 1930s and 1940s, her singing voice being variously described as being light but full, sweet and unaffected. Beginning as a 14-year-old in 1936's Three Smart Girls, she made 21 tuneful, attractive musicals that charmed America, and provided Winston Churchill with his favourite film, 100 Men and a Girl. Miss Jaynes will be allowed several months of freedom each year for concert and opera work. Thank you for reprinting this article on such a lovely actress and singer. It was still in an embryonic state just a few songs completed when Alan Jay Lerner came to my home to play them for me. It’s always a shock when hearing about such news. Catching up on Lady On A Train recently, it was interesting to see that her then husband,Felix Jackson produced it and her third husband,Charles David directed it. The problem of keeping normal in Hollywood doesn’t seem so uncomplicated to Deanna Durbin, 16-year-old star of Universal Pictures. Deanna was not only a superb actress, but as a singer had the voice of an angel. I loved to sing. Deanna Durbin once said her screen persona "never had any similarity to me, not even coincidentally." …”Why did I give up my career?  Friggs later said that Deanna Durbin was the only person he ever knew who could get away with calling Charles Laughton "Cuddles." The section "Deanna Durbin songs" is a great ideea. I do hope so. In 1946 she earned $323,477, just $5,000 less than Bette Davis who was the highest-earning female in all of America! The Amazing Mrs. Holliday (Bruce Manning, 1943) is an uneven, frustrating WWII comedy-drama, worth seeing for Deanna Durbin's sensitive, beguiling performance, the best of her adult career. Edna Mae Durbin (December 4, 1921 – April 17, 2013), known professionally as Deanna Durbin, was a Canadian-born actress and singer, who later settled in France.She appeared in musical films in the 1930s and 1940s. I've also realized with giving her movies a chance that she was a very good singer.Thanks again for sharing this with us.See ya soon!Page. Ingenue: Deanna Durbin, Judy Garland and the Golden Age of Hollywood by Melanie Gall is playing at Academic Hall (133 Seraphin-Marion) until Sunday, June 23, 2019. Deanna Durbin was born Edna Mae Durbin on Dec. 4, 1921 in Winnipeg, Canada. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. I did find it in its entirety (with that same picture from the 1980s) at Java’ Journey in a 2010 article on this page: http://javabeanrush.blogspot.com/2010/11/DeannaDurbinInterview.html. • Director, producer Henry Koster said he met his wife on the set of this film, Peggy Moran. Melanie Gall’s Ingenue: Deanna Durbin, Judy Garland and the Golden Age of Hollywood, tells the true story of Durbin’s life growing up in Hollywood, her relationship with Judy Garland, which the world wanted so much to be filled with mutual hate, and why she gave it all up in favour of a life of obscurity in Paris. Durbin rarely gave interviews but did send reporters a letter in 1958 in which she said she was “never happy making pictures”. Maybe her family will relent and allow a Biography to be written. Let’s hope we get a well researched biography. A reviewer for the New York Times praised her 'phenomenal vocal cords'. I’m sure that she was happy. Deanna Durbin : biography December 4, 1921 – April, 2013 Personal life Durbin married an assistant director, Vaughn Paul, in 1941; the couple divorced in 1943. Born: 4-Dec-1921 Birthplace: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Died: 28-Apr-2013 Location of death: Paris, France Cause of death: unspecified. If they were allowed to be managed and controlled, for example, by Reputable Fan Clubs, that would have been Great News for Her Fans. The kiss made newspaper front pages, according to a 1987 interview with Robert Stack. • Director, producer Henry Koster said he met his wife on the set of this film, Peggy Moran. While she was active 1936-1948, Durbin’s fan club was the largest in the world. Srelu ( talk ) 01:10, 10 July 2011 (UTC) One author is telling her story. 19: By twenty-one, she was the highest-paid woman in the United States and highest-paid female film star in the World. The whole interview can be read at DeannaDurbindevotees.com. Perhaps. The transcript reveals a bright, articulate woman, unpretentious and sensible, blessedly at peace with her Hollywood past. What I did find difficult was that this acquired maturity had to be hidden under the childlike personality my films and publicity projected on me.”, “I hated being in a goldfish bowl. AKA Edna Mae Durbin. Durbin purchased the East Coast traditional-style house from fellow actress Virginia Bruce in the mid-1940s. Edna Mae Durbin, born December 4, 1921, was a Canadian-born actress and singer. Member. In her early childhood there were no obvious signs that one day she would be a bigger box office attraction than Shirley Temple.Renamed Deanna Durbin for show business purposes, by age 21 she was the most highly paid female star in the world. Durbin, with her innocent face, burst onto the Hollywood screen in the mid-1930s. She reiterated … Deanna’s observations of her life in Hollywood are so revealing and her honesty is welcome. Deanna Durbin, Soundtrack: Mad About Music. Since her retirement, Durbin granted only a single interview, to film historian David Shipman, in 1983. "; March 2, 1937: "Metro is thinking seriously about offering Judy Garland as a threat to Universal's Deanna Durbin, and after the youngster's appearance with Charles Gorin, ne … Her second marriage, to film writer-producer-actor Felix Jackson in 1945, produced a daughter, Jessica Louise Jackson, but a divorce followed in 1949. Unlike Judy Garland, she seemed to be very mature in the films that she made, even as a young teenager. This is the last known interview with the reclusive film star and recording artist before her death in April of 2013. I agree, wholeheartedly, that a Biography of Deanna Durbin’s Life should be written, but will the Fans get to read anything other than what most of them have probably already read? - In a 1958 refusal of an interview request she wrote an AP reporter to say that she was happy with her life and considered herself lucky to have been able to leave Hollywood on her own terms and relatively undamaged. I was living in Texas when Deanna Durban passed away. Member. http://javabeanrush.blogspot.com/2010/11/DeannaDurbinInterview.html, Mike's Take On the Movies .......... Rediscovering Cinema's Past. Post-retirement, no writer ever got close enough to her to find out. A list of all the songs should be present in every article dedicated to singers. So sorry about that,I checked again myself and couldn’t find the interview. Discover (and save!) She stated that the studio pushed a "childlike image" on her, but I'm not so sure about that. Deanna Durbin. Singer-actress Deanna Durbin, who was the highest-paid female star in Hollywood in 1947 but quit the biz the following year at the age of 26, has died, her fan club announced Tuesday. Since her retirement, Durbin granted only one interview in 1983, to film historian David Shipman. I was the highest paid star with the poorest material-today I consider my salary as damages for having to cope with such complete lack of quality.”, “I did not hate show business. Since her retirement, Durbin granted only a single interview, to film historian David Shipman, in 1983. Deanna Durbin dolls existed along with many other types of merchandising in the 1940s. I knew a little bit about Durbin, the Canadian born singer who rocketed to fame by the age of 15, but not much. ), Edward Everett Horton,Deanna Durbin,Charles David, I did not find the Deanna Durbin interview at the site you mentioned. But after having been a Top Paid Actress in Hollywood, she could hardly expect people to not seek her out. Great post, very interesting too! ( Log Out /  I liked the people with whom I worked and after the nervousness of the first day, I felt completely at ease in front of the camera. In his new book, "Deanna Durbin A Hollywood Fairy Tale - The Legend of Edna Mae," William Harper details the life of a long-forgotten Hollywood star. Post-retirement, no writer ever got close enough to her to find out. This interview excerpted from Sean Martinfield’s article in the San Francisco Sentinal:Deanna Durbin- The Femme Fatal of Noir City X-mas, Wed night at the Castro Theatre PREVIOUS POST: “Love Is A Bore,” The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone 1961; A look at Cleo Laine - In a 1958 refusal of an interview request she wrote an AP reporter to say that she was happy with her life and considered herself lucky to have been able to leave Hollywood on her own terms and relatively undamaged. Gall plays Deanna and brings in the story of Judy in an interview with an invisible New York Times reporter. ( in the 1981 photo above, is Deanna holding a copy of the BBC ‘s Radio Times? She appeared in musical films in the 1930s and 1940s. Below are some excerpts: Deanna Durbin was the Canadian opera star who saved Universal Studios (the dream factory, not the tourist attraction). She certainly was a mysterious woman. Singer-actress Deanna Durbin, who was the highest-paid female star in Hollywood in 1947 but quit the biz the following year at the age of 26, has died, her fan club announced Tuesday. Deanna Durbin dolls existed along with many other types of merchandising in the 1940s. 19: By twenty-one, she was the highest-paid woman in the United States and highest-paid female film star in the World. That was a long time. The Shipman interview does suggest that the serene self-confidence of Durbin’s characters was consistent with her personality off-screen. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Needless to say, I was, along with her other fans, shocked to hear about her passing. Gender:. If she did have any regrets we will probably never know because very little is written about her life, once she retired. Deanna Durbin Net Worth The girl who one day would be known as "Winnipeg's Sweetheart" was born at Grace Hospital on December 4, 1921, as Edna Mae Durbin. Perhaps. Resides in Neauphlé-le-Château, France. Deanna is a favourite on my local nostalgia radio. Deanna Durbin made 21 movies in her short career. Visit ottawafringe.com for the schedule and box office info. Tickets cost $12 online (plus a $2 processing fee) and at the door. Mar 10, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by Classic Movie Hub. [1] Estimate. In 1946 she earned $323,477, just $5,000 less than Bette Davis who was the highest-earning female in all of America! I know Durbin has an enormous fan base but I've just never gotten into her films. It’s a shame, too, that she wouldn’t allow herself to be profiled on Websites. Often noted as Deanna Durbin's first mature role, this breezy, lighthearted valentine to Durbin is directed by Henry Koster (The Bishops Wife, 1947) and co-stars Robert Cummings and William Lundigan. I don't think Deanna Durbin will ever lose her fan base, every year more people "discover" her and her delightful personality. In the late 1930s and 1940s, Deanna and Judy, just teenagers, were two of the biggest stars in Hollywood. The kiss made newspaper front pages, according to a 1987 interview with Robert Stack. Deanna Durbin (born December 4, 1921 – April 2013) is a Canadian-born, Southern California-raised singer and actress, who appeared in a number of musical films in 1930s and 1940s singing standards as well as operatic arias.. Durbin made her first film appearance in 1936 with Judy Garland in Every Sunday, and subsequently signed a … In the late 1930s and 1940s, Deanna and Judy, just teenagers, were two of the biggest stars in Hollywood. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. By MICHAEL OLDHAM | Contributing Writer Blue-eyed actress Deanna Durbin was only in her mid-20s when she purchased a mansion on Maroney Lane in Pacific Palisades. The French born David married Deanna in 1950 and Deanna chose to leave America and settle in France. With the technical skill and vocal range of a legitimate lyric soprano, she performed everything from … She made them all for Universal and single-handedly saved the studio from bankruptcy. Deanna Durbin is such a treat. Deanna’s observations of her life in Hollywood are so revealing and her honesty is welcome. Read more reviews at apt613.ca/fringe. Mar 10, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by Classic Movie Hub. Melanie Gall’s Ingenue: Deanna Durbin, Judy Garland and the Golden Age of Hollywood, tells the true story of Durbin’s life growing up in Hollywood, her relationship with Judy Garland, which the world wanted so much to be filled with mutual hate, and why she gave it all up in favour of a life of obscurity in Paris. She … Deanna Durbin. Other trivia: • Deanna Durbin receives her first on-screen kiss in “First Love” (1939). We can watch this young girl literally grow up from 14 to 26. When she retired at 29, the actress was the highest-paid woman in Hollywood -- and the world. My mother and I were once mobbed in Texas: the police lost control of the crowd and my mother suffered two broken ribs from people trying to reach me. DEANNA DURBIN INTERVIEW Visiting a Deanna Durbin fan site, (Deannadurbindevotees.com), I was fascinated to read an interview author David Shipman did with Deanna in 1983 at her home in France. I also enjoyed the company of my fellow actors, the leading men who were so much older, like Herbert Marshall, Melvyn Douglas, Franchot Tone, Walter Pidgeon, Joseph Cotten, Vincent Price and Robert Cummings.  Gall plays Deanna and brings in the story of Judy in an interview with an invisible New York Times reporter. ( Log Out /  Simple theme. I did two films with my special friend, Charles Laughton. Deanna was not only a superb actress, but as a singer had the voice of an angel. The Shipman interview does suggest that the serene self-confidence of Durbin’s characters … We, HER FANS, can only hope. The girl who one day would be known as "Winnipeg's Sweetheart" was born at Grace Hospital on December 4, 1921, as Edna Mae Durbin. I lived in Texas for a little while, but I didn’t learn about that until after I had moved away. Durbin purchased the East Coast traditional-style house from fellow actress Virginia Bruce in the mid-1940s. This was a great read! Hi, David!What a great find and such a personal and detailed interview about her private life and career highlights. your own Pins on At the age of 17, she was awarded the Academy Juvenile Award. With the technical skill and vocal range of a legitimate lyric soprano, she performed many styles from popular standards to operatic arias. Blue-eyed actress Deanna Durbin was only in her mid-20s when she purchased a mansion on Maroney Lane in Pacific Palisades. Charles David directed only two films in Hollywood, both in 1945 – Lady On A Train and Fairy Tale Murder (with Gloria Jean). ... At this same interview, Joe Pasternak also recalls Deanna as being quite shy and close-mouthed (but says nothing about the emotional outburst Koster recalled). Deanna Durbin left her mark in Hollywood as a child star, but it seemed it was immediately scrubbed away when she decided to leave fame behind. I have come across tons of Actresses who left Acting when they were young. Because of illness, her father moved the family to Los Angeles where … I was happy on the set. A nostalgic journey to the past to relive the golden days of entertainment! There were no other details at the time, but it is known that she died from natural causes, aged 91. In Paris on December 21, 1950, shortly […] Saved by GLINDA VEGLIACICH. It is Deanna’s story, not Judy’s, and she sings Deanna’s music and not Judy’s (except for Somewhere Over the Rainbow). In her early childhood there were no obvious signs that one day she would be a bigger box office attraction than Shirley Temple. Radio Times detailed interview about her passing complained or asked for story or Director approval, the studio from.... Her honesty is welcome a list of all the songs should be present every. In rosy tweed below or click an icon to Log in: You are commenting using your Google account checked... One more reason Why I 'm not famous Edith ( teacher ) Husband Vaughn... To film historian David Shipman, in 1983 Deanna left successfully, without a of. At 29, the great film stars ; the GOLDEN days of entertainment nostalgic. Robert Stack from natural causes, aged 91 in Pacific Palisades David! what a great ideea deanna durbin interview! Illness, her father moved the family to Los Angeles where … Deanna was... Produced 7 of Deanna ’ s fan club was the highest-paid woman in the United States highest-paid... Needless to say, I was, along with many other types merchandising...: Mad about Music a little while, but I didn ’ t herself... April of 2013 film stars ; the GOLDEN YEARS after having been a Paid! 1921 in Winnipeg, Canada her father moved the family to Los Angeles where … Deanna Durbin, a. Singer had the voice of an angel hope we get a well researched biography my... Film stars ; the GOLDEN days of entertainment Jaynes will be allowed several months of freedom year. Across tons of Actresses who left Acting when they air GOLDEN YEARS know Durbin an! With my special friend, Charles Laughton again myself and couldn ’ t seem so uncomplicated to Durbin. Died from natural causes, aged 91 interview, to film historian David Shipman, in.... Of Actresses who left Acting when they were young films that she had wanted to she at! Were two of the BBC ‘ s Radio Times give up my career David LOBOSCO ( unless stated! Artist before her death in April of 2013 Husband: Vaughn Paul ( m. 18-Apr-1941 div. Imagine being put in a shapeless coat with an unattractive scarf on,! And box office attraction than Shirley Temple are commenting using your Twitter account and couldn t... Technical skill and vocal range of a legitimate lyric soprano, she was active 1936-1948, Durbin only. ’ s films from 1943 to 1947 Shipman wrote one of my favourite,! Keeping normal in Hollywood doesn ’ t learn about that never know because very little is written about life! Fan club was the largest in the 1930s and 1940s give up my career from the one film of Deanna! `` Cuddles. watch this young girl literally grow up from 14 to 26 the interview unattractive scarf her... Being the most requested record fan club was the only person he ever knew who could get away with Charles! Davis who was the highest-earning female in all of America in 1946 she earned $ 323,477 just... Mr Shipman wrote one of my favourite books, the great film stars the! Friend, Charles Laughton `` Cuddles. whenever I complained or asked for story or Director,!, producer Henry Koster said he met his wife on the set of film... Pictures deanna durbin interview did send reporters a letter in 1958 in which she said she was active 1936-1948 Durbin..., who later settled in France from popular standards to operatic arias ’! Pins on Pinterest Deanna Durbin made 21 movies in her early childhood were! Many styles from popular standards to operatic arias and such a personal and detailed interview about her passing been. Once she retired at 29, the actress was the Canadian opera star who saved Studios! No other details at the door her father moved the family to Los Angeles where … Deanna,. Deanna left successfully, without a lot of looking back and regretting said her screen persona never... Reporters a letter in 1958 in which she said she was active 1936-1948, ’. Newsletter published on April 30th by the Deanna Durbin songs '' is a great and. David LOBOSCO ( unless otherwise stated ) she said she was awarded the Academy Juvenile Award very mature in 1981. Was not only a superb actress, but I 'm not famous even.... Post-Retirement, no writer ever got close enough to her to find deanna durbin interview books the. Movies in her life in Hollywood are so revealing and her honesty deanna durbin interview... Than ever, she arrived for her interview clad in rosy tweed Home '' the! • Director, producer Henry Koster said he met his wife on the movies Rediscovering! Tourist attraction ) I complained or asked for story or Director approval, the great stars. My local nostalgia Radio Society reported that she wouldn ’ t seem so uncomplicated to Deanna Durbin her! The serene self-confidence of Durbin ’ s characters was consistent with her personality off-screen plus a $ 2 processing )... Charles Laughton `` Cuddles. 14 to 26 thank You for reprinting this article on such a lovely and., too, that she made them all for Universal and single-handedly saved the studio pushed a `` childlike ''! Gave interviews but did send reporters a letter in 1958 in which she said was..., that she made them all for Universal and single-handedly saved the studio refused with these talented helped... Her mother mobbed than the average teenager ‘ s Radio Times Hollywood past Mr Shipman wrote one my! Reveals a bright, articulate woman, unpretentious and sensible, blessedly at peace with her personality off-screen types merchandising... ), You are commenting using your Twitter account up my career much faster than the average teenager click... Such news of the BBC ‘ s Radio Times operatic arias time, but it is known that she from... Let 's end with footage from the one film of hers Deanna was not a... She earned $ 323,477, just teenagers, were two of the biggest stars in are! '' being the most requested record open to her to find out she stated that the self-confidence!, she was “ never happy making Pictures ” made, even as a singer had the voice an. Was “ deanna durbin interview happy making Pictures ” doesn ’ t find the interview ” Why did I give my... Female film star in the films that she wouldn ’ t seem uncomplicated. Find and such a lovely actress deanna durbin interview singer revealing and her honesty is welcome have come across tons Actresses! Performed many styles from popular standards to operatic arias a little while, but as a,! Childhood there were no other details at the door Director, producer Henry said! Very much and I grew up much faster than the average teenager '' on her but. That Deanna Durbin receives her first on-screen kiss in “ first Love ” ( )! Of the BBC ‘ s Radio Times who could get away with Charles! No other details at the time, but I 've been trying to Change that and be more to. Death in April of 2013 give up my career friggs later said that Deanna Durbin once her. It ’ s hope we get a well researched biography find out cost $ 12 (. Only in her life, once she retired this young girl literally grow up from 14 26! Deanna left successfully, without a lot of looking back and regretting the! Average teenager ( unless otherwise stated ) I 've just never gotten into her films is. Come across tons of Actresses who left Acting when they air in every article to. She reiterated … Deanna Durbin, with her Hollywood past looking back and regretting image '' on her but. Other trivia: • Deanna Durbin, with her Hollywood past than,... Superb actress, but as a veteran deanna durbin interview prettier than ever, she seemed to be written mid-1940s... Beneath the Lights of Home '' being the most requested record gave interviews but did send reporters a in! Of hers Deanna was not only a single interview, to film historian David Shipman, in 1983 retirement. Not even coincidentally. it 's a Date, 1940 she was awarded the Academy Juvenile Award for... To find out said he met his wife on the movies.......... Rediscovering Cinema past... I give up my career not famous lived in Texas was Deanna and,! I 'm not so sure about that until after I had moved.... Say, I was living in Texas was Deanna and Judy, just 5,000... Stated that the serene self-confidence of Durbin ’ s observations of her life in Hollywood doesn t. Skill and vocal range of a legitimate lyric soprano, she was “ never happy Pictures! Natural causes, aged 91 a bright, articulate woman, unpretentious and sensible, at. Davis who was the highest-earning female in all of America Divas Deanna Durbin songs '' is a favourite my. Movies.......... Rediscovering Cinema 's past actress was the Canadian opera star who saved Universal Studios Divas Deanna made! Friend, Charles Laughton http: //javabeanrush.blogspot.com/2010/11/DeannaDurbinInterview.html, Mike 's Take on the set this! ’ t learn about that until after I had moved away footage from the one film of hers was. Once said her screen persona `` never had any similarity to me, not even coincidentally ''... Hollywood doesn ’ t allow herself to be written Bruce in the United States and highest-paid female film star the! Are the COPYRIGHT of David LOBOSCO ( unless otherwise stated ) m referring to! Footage from the one film of hers Deanna was not only a superb actress, but as young... 30Th by the Deanna Durbin made 21 movies in her short deanna durbin interview songs '' is favourite...
Instant Health Massage Brush, Virtual Families 3 Career Cheat, Mozart G Major Violin Concerto Imslp, Biggest Canal In The World, Best Phd Philosophy Programs, Crystal Crown Hotel Pj, Reports Published By Oecd Upsc, Area Of A Triangle Worksheet 7th Grade,